Fungal Meningitis Outbreak

A number of people have died from the deadly fungal meningitis, and many more are sick and at risk of suffering, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on October 6, 2012.

Patients who were injected in their spine with a preservative-free steroid called methylprednisolone acetate may have received contaminated medicine. The steroid is used to treat pain and inflammation. The number of people affected is nearing a hundred and growing.

Meningitis is a bacterial infection of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms can include fever and chills, nausea, sensitivity to light, headache, and stiffness. If you suffer these symptoms and may have been exposed to methylprednisolone acetate, it is crucial you seek immediate medical attention.

A pharmacy in Massachusetts may have been responsible for distributing the contaminated injections worldwide. There is a nation-wide recall on all of the products and the Food and Drug Administration have asked doctors and consumers to avoid any products at all from The New England Compounding Center.

As many as 76 medical facilities in 23 states received the contaminated steroid injections from NECC. A list can be found at

There are confirmed cases in Florida, as well as many other states nationwide.

The FDA is urging anyone who has experienced problems following an injection with the NECC product to report it to MedWatch, the FDA's voluntary reporting program, by phone at 1-800-FDA-1088 or online at

If you or someone you love has been exposed to this dangerous drug, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact a Defective Drug attorney at Hannon Legal Group today for a free consultation regarding your rights.